It's Official - According to Guinness World Record's, Smithfield's Ham Biscuit is the World's Largest!
8 feet in width...14 inches tall...500 pounds of Smithfield Ham...a total of 2,200 pounds - the Smithfield Ham Biscuit, which was made during last year's 250th Anniversary Celebration, is the result of a total team effort. Many thanks goes to the Biscuit Team which includes: Roger Case, Jeff Davis, Doug Ellis, Tom Evans, Jimmy Horton, Tony Newby, Forrest Scott, Betty Thomas/Marketing, and Chef Michael Toepper. Kudos also go to Gwaltney of Smithfield, Ltd. for supplying the ham, and Smithfield Foods, Inc. for financing the project. Smithfield was notified on March 21, 2003 that the Smithfield Ham Biscuit has been accepted by Guinness World Records as the World's Largest Ham Biscuit.
In 2002, Smithfield celebrated its 250th Anniversary with a year long celebration. Several special events were held throughout the year which included:
A 250th Anniversary Core Steering Committee was created to plan, coordinate, and oversee the 250th Anniversary events.
Mission Statement: The purpose of the 250th Anniversary Core Steering Committee is to oversee the celebration of Smithfield’s historical and cultural heritage. We wish to bring to the citizens of Smithfield and Isle of Wight County a review of 250 years of the town through a year long celebration. Through education and entertainment we hope to convey to the present day citizens the achievements and developments of the town. Another goal is to promote the town and its businesses on a regional and national level.
Kick Off Celebration Weekend (Feb 23-24)
- 1:00 pm - Proclamation leaves Courthouse by riders to the Smithfield Center
- 1:10 pm - Proclamation delivered to Mayor Chapman at the Smithfield Center
- Proclamation - Mayor James B. Chapman
- Resolution from the Virginia General Assembly - Delegate William K. Barlow
- Time Capsule - Dr. Quincy B. Gilliam, Jr., Chairman, Smithfield 250th Anniversary Celebration
- Town History - Mrs. Doris Gwaltney
- Essay Contest Winners
- Musical Selections - Smithfield High School Performance Band
- 1:50 pm - 3:30 pm - Concurrent Events
- Essay Contest (Life in Smithfield)
- Art Show (Views of Smithfield)
- Museum (History of Smithfield)
- Music (Sounds of Smithfield)
- Food, Entertainment and Face Paintings
- Sunday, February 24th - 3:00 pm - The Smithfield Center - Lecture Series - Sylvia Tabb-Lee, African American Legacy and Colonial American Speaker.
|(Click on any picture to see a larger version)
Series of Lectures and Community Forums
- Sunday, February 24th - 3:00 pm - Sylvia Tabb-Lee, African American Legacy and Colonial American Speaker.
- Sunday, March 10th - 3:00 pm - Nancy Egloff, Colonialism from Jamestown to Smithfield.
- Sunday, May 5th - 3:00 pm - Councilman Harry G. Dashiell, Smithfield in the 1800s.
- Sunday, May 26th - 2:00 pm - Robert Fryer and Pat Clarke, Historical Slide Show.
- Sunday, June 23rd - 3:00 pm - Doris Gwaltney - Book preview, reading and signing.
- Sunday, July 21st - 3:00 pm - Live Panel Discussion - Life in Smithfield in the Early to Mid 1900s.
- Monday, September 23rd - 7:30 pm - Founding Father Character Interpretation: George Washington.
- Wednesday, October 16th - 7:30 pm - A History of Colonial Courthouses - Old Courthouse (130 Main Street)
Town Birthday Party (Sept. 26-29)
- Thursday, September 26th:
- * 3:30 pm - 7:00 pm - Chamber Day at the Smithfield Center.
- Friday, September 27th:
- 2:30 pm - Parade of Sails on the Pagan River featuring the Godspeed, a replica of a 1607 Jamestown Ship
- 3:00 pm - 5:30 pm - Sea Shanty Music on the waterfront
- 8:00 pm - A concert by nationally known conductor and pianist Walter Noona
- Saturday, September 28th:
- All Day - Food vendors - Smithfield Center (outside) & downtown areas
- 10:00 am - "History of Smithfield" parade on Main Street - Grand Marshall, Cal Ripken, Jr.
- 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Preparation of the World's Largest Ham Biscuit in front of the corporate building on Commerce Street
- 1:00 pm - Proclamation/Entertainment at the Smithfield Center
- 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm - Waterfront Entertainment
- 1:30 pm - James River Dixieland - Smithfield Center - outside stage
- 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm - Children's Games - Smithfield Center Suites C&D
- 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm - Community Events - Smithfield Center
- 2:15 - 2:30 - Isle of Wight Parks & Recreation Cheerleaders
- 2:30 - 2:50 - Southside Ballet
- 2:50 - 3:10 - Smithfield Assembly of God/Human video "Veggie Tales"
- 3:10 - 3:30 - Smithfield Library Story Time
- 3:30 - 3:50 - Little Zion Baptist Church Priase Dance Group
- 3:50 - 4:10 - Carrollton Elementary/Singing
- 4:10 - 4:30 - Smithfield Baptist Church/play & songs
- 4:30 - 4:50 - Smithfield High School/songs
- 4:50 - 5:10 - European Dance Studio
- 5:10 - 5:30 - Smithfield Middle School Jazz Band
- 5:30 - 5:50 - Trinity United Methodist Church/Drama Skits & Songs
- 5:50 - 6:10 - Southside & European Dances & Audience
- 3:00 pm - Local Jazz Band - Forte - Smithfield Center
- 4:00 pm - Country Music - Griffin Lane - Smithfield Center
- 5:00 pm - Forte/Griffin Lane - Smithfield Center
- 7:00 pm - Quartet - Broad Street - 60's top hits - Smithfield Center
- 8:00 pm - Free concert - The Platters - Smithfield Center (bring chair)
- 10:00 pm - Fireworks - Smithfield Waterfront
- Sunday, September 29th:
- 11:00 am - Service at the Veteran's Memorial (corner of North Church Street and Luter Drive)
- 12:30 pm - Burial of the time capsule
- 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Children's Games - Smithfield Center Suites C&D
- 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Community Events - Smithfield Center
- 1:00 - 1:20 - Hardy Elementary School Chorus
- 1:40 - 2:00 - James River Academy
- 2:00 - 2:20 - Main Street Baptist Church/Praise Dance Group
- 2:20 - 2:40 - Isle of Wight Academy
- 2:40 - 3:00 - Smithfield 90 Voice Chorus/Songs of Liberty
- 2:00 pm - Musical Entertainment - Smithfield Center
- 4:00 pm - Birthday Cake - Smithfield Foods Headquarter building