The Town contracts with Bay Disposal and Recycling for residential recycling services. The Town provides each residential address with one cart. Extra carts may be rented from Bay by calling 757-857-9700. Beginnining July 1st 2017, collection frequency will be every other week (Thursdays for residents on West Side and Friday's for residents on East Side).
Acceptable Recyclables Include:
- Paper (newspapers, magazines, junk mail, phone books, soft covered books, etc.),
- Cardboard (unwaxed, flattened)
- Plastics (any household containers marked #1 or #2)
- Metal (aluminum, steel or tin food and beverage containers)
- Glass Bottles and Jars
- Chip Board (cereal boxes, cracker boxes etc.) remove inside packaging
In an effort to provide opportunities for businesses and residents of apartments to recycle, or for those that have an overflow of recycling, the town has placed a recycling dumpster at the corner of James Street and Washington Street.
If you have questions about acceptable items or recycling services, please contact Bay Disposal and Recycling at 757-857-9700.
Schedule changes and make up days will be posted on the Town website and Town Facebook page, as well as published in The Smithfield Times.
- New Years Day
- Independence Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day