Open the Alert Ticker
Smithfield Police
Home » Department » Smithfield Police » Frequently Asked Questions

Smithfield Police

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What happens if I dial 911 with a cell phone?

A: Your 911 call will be routed to the nearest tower from the point where you make the call. Wherever you are, your call will go to the nearest 911 dispatcher. On rare occasions, a 911 dispatcher may have to forward you to another police department, depending on what jurisdiction you happen to be in at the time, but these transfers are done rapidly in emergency situations. In any situation, a dispatcher will ask you your current location and will make appropriate decisions accordingly.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

A: Call our main office Monday through Friday from 9:00am-5:00pm and request a public copy through our office staff. Have a report number available, or any other relevant information and our staff will assist you in obtaining a copy of the report. Please be advised that all reports take a minimum of 2 business days to process before they are available for the public.

Q: What do I do about harassing phone calls?

A: Tell the person that you do not want them to contact you any more. It is illegal to make harassing phone calls. Advising the unwanted caller that you will seek a warrant for their arrest if they continue to call will usually stop them from calling. However, if the calls continue, document when the calls came in and who is calling. Making harassing phone calls is a misdemeanor crime, so you will need to go to the nearest magistrate with that list of times and dates to seek a warrant for the arrest of the individual who is harassing you. It is helpful to get a copy of incoming calls from your telephone company if a warrant is obtained, to use as evidence in court. If voicemails are left by the unwanted caller, document those as well for additional evidence.

Q: What is the curfew in Smithfield?

A: 12:30am - 5:00am are the hours of curfew for juveniles in the Town of Smithfield.

Q: What should I do if I'm in a car accident?

A: Check to see if there are any injuries. Call the police right away and the dispatcher will ask you if anyone was injured, extent of injuries, where you are located, how many vehicles were involved, type of vehicles and extent of damage to the vehicles. Knowing if anyone is injured and where you are located is of immediate importance in order to dispatch rescue services. Whenever possible, have your driver's license, registration, and insurance information available for the arriving police officer.

Q: What can I do about barking/nuisance dogs?

A: The first thing to do is talk with the neighbor who owns the dogs. They may not be aware that their dogs are barking during certain hours, or that it is a disturbance. If the barking does not cease, police can visit the owner and provide them with a notification packet that advises them of the Town's Ordinances against noise disturbances and legal actions that will be taken if it does not cease. It is helpful if you have made a log of the time of day when the dogs are especially noisy.

Q: My friend got pulled for DUI, what can I do?

A: Find out what department arrested them (State Police and Isle of Wight Sheriff Deputies have jurisdiction in Town limits). The arrest process for a DUI in the Town of Smithfield can take a few hours, including the arrestee meeting with a magistrate who determines their bond. There is a mandatory minimum four hour sobering period from the time the arrestee has met with the magistrate. This sobering period takes place at Western Tidewater Regional Jail in Suffolk near the Obici Hospital, if the individual was arrested by a Smithfield Police Officer. Your friend may need a ride from Suffolk, approximately 6-8 hours from the time they are stopped on the road.

Q: What should I do if I think I'm behind a reckless/drunk driver?

A: Get a license plate number. Call the telephone number for the police department or sheriff's office where you are. Give the dispatcher a description of the reckless nature of the driving, the car type, the direction you are headed and your location, the license plate of the car, and if possible, stay behind the car until police arrive. When police arrive, continue on your way. The dispatcher will get your contact information so that you can be reached if you need to serve as a witness.

The dispatcher will ask you if you wish to press charges. Often times, citizens will see someone driving in a reckless manner, but when a marked police unit arrives, the driver may cease his recklessness. As a citizen, you have a right to seek a warrant against the reckless driver, if the officer did not witness the reckless driving. The officer can still assist by obtaining the necessary information on the reckless driver so that you can press charges. In the case of a drunk driver, the officer will seek charges.

Contact SPD

913 S Church Street
Smithfield, VA  23430


For Emergencies Dial 911

Smithfield Police Staff Members