The Smithfield Board of Historic and Architectural Review (BHAR) holds their regular scheduled meetings at 6:30 p.m. on the 3rd Tuesday of the month in Conference Rooms A & B of the Smithfield Center to review exterior changes to structures and new construction in the historic district.
The BHAR members serve 5 year terms and are appointed by the Town Council.
Back Row (Left to Right): David Goodrich, Russell Hill, and Ronnie Prevatte
Front Row (Left to Right): Julia Hillegass, Trey Gwaltney (Chair), and Gary Hess
Board of Historic and Architectural Review (BHAR)
Trey Gwaltney, Chairman (term expires 1/31/2023)
Julie Hillegass - Vice Chair (term expires 1/31/2021)
Gary Hess (term expires 1/31/2024)
Russell Hill (term expires1/31/2024)
Ronny Prevatte (term expires 1/31/2022)
David Goodrich (term expires 1/31/2023)
Justin Hornback (term expires 1/31/2021)
Mr. John Settle - Community Development & Planning Director
To be on the Board of Historic and Architectural Review agenda, applicants must submit all necessary materials, including a completed BHAR Application Form, to the town NO LATER than 21 days before the scheduled BHAR Meeting.
To learn more about the duties and powers of the Board of Historic and Architectural Review (BHAR), Download Article 3.M (Historic Preservation Overlay District Ordinance).
The Smithfield Historic District Design Guidelines
Download the complete document (Large file size):
Or download by chapter:
- Appendices (152 K)
- Table of Contents, Chapter I Background (876 K)
- Chapter II Understanding District Character (3.34 MB)
- Chapter III Before You Begin (72 K)
- Chapter IV Planning a Project in the Historical District (160 K)
- Chapter V Site (1.47 MB)
- Chapter VI Building Mass (464 K)
- Chapter VII Building Elements (1.89 MB)
- Chapter VIII Building Materials (460 K)
- Chapter IX Decorative Features (824 K)
- Chapter X Additions (340 K)
- Chapter XI Streetscape (1.37 MB)
- Chapter XII Moving & Demolition of Historical Buildings (40 K)