Welcome to the Town of Smithfield's Employment center. We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
Ground Maintenance Specialist - Public Works Department (Essential Personnel)
Date Posted: August 4, 2020
Date Closes: August 21, 2020
Starting Pay: $13.05 per hour
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Under direct supervision, performs a combination of manual labor and light equipment operation for the purpose of maintaining and/or repairing Town properties, streets, public facilities and utility system components. Performs related work as required.
- Performs varied grounds keeping duties such as mowing grass, blowing and/or vacuuming leaves, cutting trees and limbs, sweeping sidewalks, shoveling snow and removing debris and trash from Town properties using equipment such as zero turn mowers, walk behind mowers, blowers, bush hogs, tractors, etc.
- Operates a variety of hand and power tools in the performance of assigned tasks including mowers, chain saws, shovels, brooms, weed eaters, etc.
- Cleans storm drains; Performs occasional painting.
- Picks up trash and dead animals.
- Keeps flower beds clean.
- Installs street and other traffic control signs.
- Directs traffic around work site.
- Obtains, transports and accounts for materials and supplies needed to perform work.
- Maintains equipment and ensures its proper working condition. Reports equipment, materials or supply problems to supervisor.
- Spray for pesticides (Requires Registered Technician Certification)
- Perform V-DOT Flagging activities as necessary
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED preferred
- Must possess a valid Virginia Drivers’ license
- A minimum of 5-11 months previous experience with grounds keeping and/or manual labor preferred
- Prior experience with the use of zero turn mowers, chainsaws, bush hogs, and/or tractors is preferred
- V-DOT Flagging Certification required (or must obtain within 6 months of employment)
- Registered Technician Certification for pesticide spraying required (or must obtain within 6 months of employment)
Position requires successful completion of a post-offer physical, brackground check, and drug screen. This is a safety-sensitive position which participates in the Town's random drug screen program.
Tasks involve regular and sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and that generally involves lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50) pounds.
Requires the ability to perform coordinated movements involving placing and turning motions, such as operating light equipment, power tools and performing manual labor.
Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate depths. Some tasks require visual perception and discrimination. Most tasks require oral communications ability.
Tasks may risk exposure to traffic hazards, adverse weather conditions, dust, pollen, odors, and loud noise.
The Town of Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.