Welcome to the Town of Smithfield's Employment center. We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
Grounds Maintenance Specialist (Essential Personnel)
Reports To: Public Works Supervisor
Statis: Non-Exempt, Full-Time
Position Closes: June 10, 2020
Starting Pay: $13.05 per hour
Under direct supervision, performs a combination of manual labor and light equipment operation for the purpose of maintaining and/or repairing Town properties, streets, public facilities and utility system components. Performs related work as required.
- Performs varied grounds keeping duties such as mowing grass, blowing and/or vacuuming leaves, cutting trees and limbs, sweeping sidewalks, shoveling snow and removing debris and trash from Town properties using equipment such as zero turn mowers, walk behind mowers, blowers, bush hogs, tractors, etc.
- Operates a variety of hand and power tools in the performance of assigned tasks including mowers, chain saws, shovels, brooms, weed eaters, etc.
- Cleans storm drains; Performs occasional painting.
- Picks up trash and dead animals.
- Keeps flower beds clean.
- Installs street and other traffic control signs.
- Directs traffic around work site.
- Obtains, transports and accounts for materials and supplies needed to perform work.
- Maintains equipment and ensures its proper working condition. Reports equipment, materials or supply problems to supervisor.
- Spray for pesticides (Requires Registered Technician Certification)
- Perform V-DOT Flagging activities as necessary
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED preferred
- Must possess a valid Virginia Drivers’ license
- A minimum of 5-11 months previous experience with grounds keeping and/or manual labor preferred
- Prior experience with the use of zero turn mowers, chainsaws, bush hogs, and/or tractors is preferred
- V-DOT Flagging Certification required (or must obtain within 6 months of employment)
- Registered Technician Certification for pesticide spraying required (or must obtain within 6 months of employment)
Tasks involve regular and sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and that generally involves lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50) pounds.
Requires the ability to perform coordinated movements involving placing and turning motions, such as operating light equipment, power tools and performing manual labor.
Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate depths. Some tasks require visual perception and discrimination. Most tasks require oral communications ability.
Tasks may risk exposure to traffic hazards, adverse weather conditions, dust, pollen, odors, and loud noise.
Successful candidate must successfully pass a routine fitness for duty physical and a drug screen.
Patrol Officer (Essential Personnel)
Reports To: Patrol Sergeant
Status: Non-Exempt, Full-Time
Positon Closes: June 30, 2020
Starting Salary: $40,728
POSITION SUMMARY: Perform general law enforcement work in order to preserve public peace and order; to protect lives, property and rights of the public, and to enforce the laws, and to diminish crime and provide a safe environment in the Town of Smithfield. Work involves patrolling of Town to deter crime or apprehend and/or arrest violators or suspects; responding to calls for law enforcement assistance and gathering information for criminal investigations. The employee is subject to the usual hazards of law enforcement work.
- Reduces the commission of crimes and maintains law enforcement by deterrence through high visibility patrol throughout the Town. Apprehends and/or arrests persons who violate statutory law and/or municipal ordinances.
- Monitors radio calls; communicates with radio dispatcher and responds to complaints, reports of criminal events, requests for law enforcement, and domestic or public disputes. Inspects troublesome areas and checks security of business establishments.
- Secures crime scenes.
- Gathers information in criminal investigations by interviewing victims, witnesses and suspects; performs searches of people, vehicles and buildings; prepares investigative reports of findings, facts and related information; makes arrests and processes arrested suspects. Detects and collects evidence and substances that provide the basis for probable cause for criminal acts; and testifies in court.
- Enforces traffic laws and regulations. Detects traffic violators; performs traffic accident investigations and makes reports. Facilitates the movement of traffic and pedestrians around accidents, disabled traffic control devices or heavily congested areas. Assists disabled motorists. Directs traffic for funerals and other public gatherings.
- Performs rescue functions at accidents, emergency scenes and disaster areas.
- Serves criminal warrants and search warrants.
- Completes and/or reviews paperwork documenting shift activities, offenses and incidents, victim and suspect statements and other related information.
- Assists other law enforcement personnel and agencies.
- Transports prisoners.
- Participates in a variety of law enforcement training and maintains certifications; and may train other personnel on radar, firearms, chemical agents, etc.
- Engages in public relations and community service activities and events to promote a positive image for the Department and to build cooperative and collaborative relationships with the community.
- May perform boat patrolling duties on adjacent waterways.
- Must serve on an on-call basis 24 hours a day as assigned.
- Maintains equipment and work area.
- Completes miscellaneous paperwork, time sheets, etc.
- Performs related duties as required.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent combination of work and training preferred
- Graduation from law enforcement academy is preferred for hire. BLE Certification is required in order to perform essential functions.
- Must possess the ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear reports
- Must possess the ability to deal professionally, courteously and fairly with the public
- Must possess the ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances
- Must possess the ability to become skilled in the use of firearms and the operation of police vehicles;
- Must possess the ability and willingness to serve on an on-call basis 24 hours per day as assigned
- Must have a clear drivers’ license with no criminal or motor vehicle record.
- Must have no felony convictions.
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Reactive emergency, natural or man-made disaster, and routine peace keeping environments with travel from site to site. The employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions; occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, risk of radiation, and vibration; potentially hostile environments; extensive public contact.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but may be very loud due to sirens, firearm training, etc. Incumbents required to work various shifts, including evenings and weekends, and may be required to travel outside Town boundaries to attend meetings.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability to work in a law enforcement setting and an office setting; restrain or subdue individuals; walk, stand, sit, or run for prolonged periods of time; occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; occasionally climb and balance; regularly push,
pull, lift, and/or carry light to moderate weights; frequently lift and/or move moderate to heavy weights; occasionally lift and/or move heavy weights; operate office equipment including use of computer keyboard; requires a sense of touch, finger dexterity, and gripping with hands and fingers; ability to speak and hear to exchange information; ability to operate a vehicle to travel to various locations; ability to operate and use specialized law enforcement tools and equipment including guns and handcuffs.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
The Town of Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.