Welcome to the Town of Smithfield's Employment center. We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
Planner - (Full-Time)
Reports To: Director, Community Development & Planning
Status: Non-exempt, Full-time
Position Closes: Open until filled
Starting Salary: $40,728
Under general supervision of the Director of Community Development & Planning, assists with the daily operations of the planning department and zoning ordinance enforcement. Duties include reviewing site plans, subdivision plans and plats for compliance with planning and zoning standards, ordinance and regulations. Assisting property owners and other parties with planning and zoning related issues. Assisting, when necessary, the Planning Technician/Code Compliance Officer.
- Reviews site plans, subdivision plans and plats for compliance with related ordinances, regulations and standards, and coordination with other reviewing agencies.
- Assists, when necessary, the Planning Technician/Code Compliance Officer.
- Mails public notices to property owners concerning public hearings.
- Creates site maps on GIS, assists in maintenance of layers and data base.
- Coordinates GIS data mapping and addresses with Isle of Wight County and assists with creating zoning distribution maps and future land use maps.
- Writes zoning certification letters to property owners regarding property status.
- Meets with and responds to questions/requests from the public, property owners, applicants, developers, and other interested parties regarding planning and zoning issues.
- Researches property information; creates and maintains property files.
- Enters data into zoning permit databases and maintains files in automated information system.
- Assists with updating and amending ordinance and comprehensive plan documents.
- Assists Director of Community Development & Planning with special projects, assignments and research.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Must possess a valid Virginia Drivers’ License
- Associate’s Degree required with course work emphasis in planning, public administration or related field preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in public planning or zoning work.
- Certified Zoning Official Certification preferred.
- Must possess excellent attention to detail.
- Requires strong organizational skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications required.
- Experience in ESRI ArcGIS preferred.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must possess a customer service focused attitude.
Must be able to successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Tasks involve the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 50 pounds).
Requires the ability to perform skilled coordinated movements, such as inspecting sites, driving a vehicle and using a keyboard.
Tasks may risk exposure to adverse environmental conditions such as weather, traffic, dust, odors and noise.
The Town of Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.