Welcome to the Town of Smithfield's Employment center. We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
Chief Deputy Treasurer (Full-Time)
Reports To: Treasurer
Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Position Closes: Open Until Filled
Starting Salary: $58,844
Under limited direction of the Treasurer, assists in the administration of the Town’s budget by monitoring expenditures, revenues and balances as well as overseeing Town payroll and benefits reporting. This position also manages the Town’s financial software. Additionally, work involves supervisory responsibilities of payroll and financial analyst functions.
- Plans, assigns and supervises the activities of the payroll and financial analyst functions. Provides guidance and direction as needed. Evaluates staff performance.
- Assists with the administration of the Town’s budgets: monitors expenditures, revenues and balances throughout the year.
- Assists with a wide variety of financial reports and financial statements. Responds to questions and/or requests for information from Department heads regarding Town financial activities, policies, procedures, revenues and expenditures. Assists in filing reports as required by lenders or state and federal agencies.
- Oversees Town payroll and employee benefits reporting. Works with Human Resources to review benefit contracts on an annual basis and prepare requests for proposals as appropriate to enhance benefit packages. Also coordinates and responds to payroll audit requests from outside entities. Consults with Treasurer and Department Heads regarding payroll issues.
- Serves as liaison to Isle of Wight County Commissioner of the Revenue and Treasurer regarding MUNIS interface for tax billings.
- Monitors the status, expenditures and revenues of Town funds, grants and accounts; ensures proper allocation, documentation and record keeping of financial activities.
- Manages the Town’s financial software with the assistance of IT consultant and IT support staff. Performs system back-ups as needed. Identifies needs for new hardware/software. Trains new users on system, and trouble shoots system problems.
- Maintains the Town’s fixed asset system. Responsible for identifying, marking, and recording all additions and deletions to accurately reflect the value of the Town’s assets.
- Assists with real estate and personal property supplements and abatements as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting or closely related field required, with a Master’s preferred
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in budget administration, administering accounts payable and receivable functions, financial reporting
- Previous supervisory experience preferred
- Experience working in a Municipality is preferred
- Must possess excellent attention to detail
- Requires strong organizational skills
- Must possess a customer service focused attitude
- Must be proficient in MS Office applications; MUNIS experience is preferred
- Must possess knowledge of operating standard office equipment
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Position requires successful completion of a post offer background check and drug screen.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing, light lifting, pushing or pulling is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. The amount of weight to lift, push or pull would not exceed 5 pounds.
Director, Public Works & Utilities - Full-Time
Reports To: Town Manager
Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Position Closes: Open until Filled
Starting Salary: $75,600
Under limited supervision, plans, directs and administers the day-to-day operations of the Public Works & Utilities Department. Performs complex professional and administrative work coordinating and supervising maintenance, construction, engineering, water works, and operations of the Town Public Works & Utilities Department.
- Manages the construction, operation, maintenance and repair of the Town’s infrastructure, to include coordination with contractors and vendors.
- Works with governmental agencies, ensuring compliance, permitting, and cooperation as required on various projects.
- Plans, develops and implements proposals and programs to properly administer local funds, grant funds, and VDOT maintenance funds to maintain and expand services in accordance with the needs of the Town.
- Manages the daily administrative and technical operations of the department and the deployment of resources to projects in a fiscally responsible manner. This includes activities of the Town’s building maintenance, grounds, streets, sewer, water works, and engineering functions.
- Provides annual support for the development of a recommended budget for the Capital Improvements Program.
- Attends pre-construction meetings with contractors/developers to discuss projects. Conducts on-site inspections of projects under construction to ensure compliance.
- Participates in management teams and committees as appointed by the Town Manager
- Responsible for the overall leadership and oversight of the department. Provides Leadership, council, motivation and constructive performance feedback to all assigned staff in support of the Town’s Vision.
- Promotes and ensures proper employee training per OSHA guidelines and compliance with Town’s adopted safety program and departmental safety procedures.
- Must carry assigned communication devices as required by the Town Manager and be available 24 hours per day for emergencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree with course work emphasis in civil engineering, public administration, business administration, construction management or a related field required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- A minimum of six to nine years of progressive experience in a public works/utilities department is preferred, including 4 or more years of responsible supervisory experience.
- Proficiency in MS Office Software
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Requires strong organizational skills.
- Must possess a customer service focused attitude.
- Must possess a valid Virginia Drivers’ License
- Criminal Background Check and Drug Screen required.
Tasks involve the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 50 pounds).
Requires the ability to perform skilled coordinated movements, such as inspecting sites, driving a vehicle and using a keyboard.
Tasks may risk exposure to adverse environmental conditions such as weather, traffic, dust, odors and noise.
The Town of Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.