Smithfield Planning Commission
The Planning Commission (PC) is composed of seven members, all of whom are appointed by the Town Council and sworn by the Isle of Wight County Circuit Court to serve staggered four year terms. The PC is enabled through the Smithfield Zoning Ordinance (SZO), as well as Code of Virginia Title 15.2, Chapter 22, Article 2 to perform (in summary) the following duties:
- Review and decide on the following:
- Entrance Corridor Overlay Design Review Applications
- Site/Subdivision/Utility Plan & Preliminary Plat, Final Plat, Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act Exception, PC Waiver & Special Sign Exception Applications
- Appeals as Established in the SZO
- Review and produce recommendations to the Town Council on Official Zoning Map Amendment (Rezoning) Applications, Comprehensive Plan & Subdivision/Zoning Ordinance Amendment Applications, and Special Use Permit Applications.
- The Planning Commission is tasked with the following:
- Reviewing other planning, zoning, land use, and development-related matters as directed by the Town Council.
- Reviewing all applications within the contexts of the SZO, the Comprehensive Plan, and any other applicable planning document.
The Planning Commission is comprised of the following members, one of whom must also serve on the Town Council:
- Charles Bryan, Chair (Exp. 2026-01-31)
- Julia Hillegass Vice-Chair (Exp. 2023-01-31)
- Randolph Pack, Town Councilman (Exp. 2026-01-31)
- Michael Swecker (Exp. 2026-01-31)
- Dr. Thomas Pope (Exp. 2023-01-31)
- Michael Torrey (Exp. 2023-01-31)
- Raynard Gibbs (Exp.2024-01-31)
Please remember that, in order to appear on a PC meeting agenda, Town staff must receive all necessary applications, fees, and other materials no less than three weeks prior to the date of the next scheduled PC meeting. The PC is typically scheduled to meet on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 PM in the Smithfield Center, 220 N Church St, Smithfield, VA 23430.
Please direct all inquiries concerning the PC to Tammie Clary, Community Development & Planning Director- Tammie is the designated staff member contact for the PC. Tammie can be reached via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), telephone (1-(757)-365-4200), or mail (PO Box 246, Smithfield, VA 23431).
2022 PC membership, from left to right: Mr. Swecker,Dr. Pope, Mr. Torrey, Chair Bryan, Vice-Chair Hillegass, Mr. Pack, and Mr. Gibbs.